Keto dieters, this is going to be a proper treat for you all!
Sometimes it gets difficult to find a recipe for a tasty but still keto-friendly meal. Fortunately, below you will be able to learn how to prepare a super tasty, broccoli cheese soup.
The best bit about this soup is that it’s quite yummy and quite easy to prepare.
Don’t believe it?
What if you knew that you only need 5 common ingredients?
Sounds simple, now, right?
So, buckle down and prepare for taking some notes!
Why this recipe is so special
First of all, since we are talking about a dish that is keto-friendly it goes without saying that carbs need to stay low, right?
Well, that is why this soup is special. There are dozens of broccoli and cheese soup recipes out there and they all use flour as a thickener. This isn’t so good. On top of that, the list of ingredients cannot be shorter than the one you’re going to see today.
Our keto broccoli cheese soup will only take 20 minutes to prepare, it’s keto-friendly and it’s super tasty. Oh, and did we mention that it is also gluten-free?
Yes, it is!
So, get ready to start taking notes, this soup will be loved by your whole family, no matter if they are on the keto diet or not.
Broccoli cheese soup you’re going to make today is creamy, low carb and the simplest soup you’re going to find. This soup is also vegetarian and since you can substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Some variations even come with bone broth.
It will only take you 20 minutes to make it which means that this soup is a perfect last minute meal. Also, if you are new to the keto diet, this is an excellent option for the start of your keto journey exactly due to its simplicity.
As it was mentioned, it only requires five ingredients. These five ingredients are common so there is a high chance that you already have them in your kitchen.
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Shredded cheddar cheese
A lot of people will appreciate the simplicity but it’s worth noting that exactly due to it, the flavors are not complex either. Of course, this is how it’s supposed to be since the point is for everyone to be able to make this soup.
You can prepare it in three ways:
- Pieces – Leave all the broccoli florets whole in your low carb broccoli cheese soup.
- Pureed – Pureeing is an excellent way to get a thicker soup if that’s what you like. The broccoli thickens it.
- Combination – You can even mix it up and puree half of it while leaving the rest as florets.
How to customize it?
Now that you’ve seen the simple recipe for this soup, let’s see what you can do to customize it.
- Add your favorite spice
- Shredded chicken
- Cooked bacon
- Various vegetables (onions, bell peppers, etc.)
Bear in mind that you just need to be careful when adding something that is salty, like bacon. Do not overdo it. Remember that this soup is already salty enough, it has broccoli and cheese, so, do not add extra saltiness when it obviously isn’t needed.
Moreover, it is recommended that you wait for the cheese to melt first and then add other ingredients. If you don’t wait for that to happen, the cheese might stick to the add-ins. That may cause a problem and it won’t melt.
Of course, you can also do this. If you add other add-ins that need to be cooked, temporarily remove them with a slotted spoon at the end, melt in the cheese and then put them back into the pot.
How to thicken the soup?
It was already mentioned that the thickener in this soup is gluten-free. Well, of course, it is, it is simply cheese. There is no flour, starches or artificial thickeners. They are not necessary if you want to thicken the broccoli cheese soup.
The heavy cream will reduce as you cook the soup. That will help slightly with the thickening process. You don’t need to swap out the cream with any kind of milk. It can work well but the result will come out less creamy.
It is the cheese that does the majority of the work when it comes to thickening the broccoli cheese soup.
The cheese in question is the cheddar cheese, of course. It does wonders to the flavor and the thickening process. It may be a bit thinner than flour-thickened version but it’s a lot easier. Of course, it is better, too.
There are no carbs and the soup remains creamy and delicious.
Preparations of thicker broccoli cheese soup
There are a few ways to make the broccoli cheese soup thicker. They are listed below.
- Add more cheese. The more cheese you add, the thicker your broccoli and cheese soup will be! This is the easiest option, but keep in mind it still won’t be as thick as using an actual thickener.
- Puree it. This is my preferred method. Simply pour some or all of the broccoli soup into a blender or food processor after cooking. It will get thicker from the broccoli itself! If you still want some whole broccoli pieces, just puree part of it and then return to the pot. You can also puree the whole thing if you want to.
- Add a low carb thickener. These would be thickeners like xanthan gum or glucomannan. They are not completely natural. But if you want a super thick low carb or keto soup, they will do the trick. Start by whisking a bit of the powder (maybe just 1/4 tsp to 1/2 tsp) with some water, then whisk the mixture into the soup.
- Use a starch thickener. These would be arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Both are gluten-free, but now low carb. That being said, just a little bit will not make the soup super high in carbs. If you are okay with it, tossing the shredded cheese in a little arrowroot or cornstarch before adding to the soup will help it melt better and thicken better.
Voila! Hopefully, you will enjoy this soup as much as almost everyone who tried it did.
You’ve got two variations, all the instructions and now it’s your turn to work your cooking skills a bit.